With the weekend upon us and the holidays looming near I was thrilled to get some time out in the shop to mess with things. Of course, when the blades came back from Peters' and were in dandy shape, well... I just did a little dance.
Here's the big one all covered in scale and ready for work.
As I have tried to do, given the trouble I have had in the past with this part, I polished the bevels first. This time I had no issues at all and got it down to a pretty fine edge.
The big lesson on this one is that a 1 X 42 belt on the small grinder is easy to use for polishing. No major hick ups and all came out looking.. knifey. :)
So originally, I had planned to make the scales out of Elm. I even have the wood here... The more I thought about it though, the more I realized I am way rusty. In thinking about it I am not sure I have finished a knife in close to two years. I decided instead to use a chunk of blank ink walnut Dymondwood. It's cheap, it's tough, and the ink between the layers works like a damned topo map of the grip...
Once I got the blade flats sanded down to about 400 grit oil finished satin the way I like them, I taped up the blade and attached the scales. My bandsaw was having issues but we got through.
Not so much with the sexy knife look at all. :)
Anyhow, I used the drum sander to profile the mess down and the grinder to remove the big excess chunks of thickness.
Then chucked it up for some shaping. I really love working scales with a file. Once they just need a contour it's a bunch of fun to try to get them the same on both sides.