It turns out that all my planning and scheming about a bag to take into the woods was rendered moot by the simplest of designs. I went back to the bottle kit and adjusted a bit and landed exactly where I wanted to be... totally by accident. It is that combination of weight and stuff I was looking for. I'll do a write-up on it when things cool off some outside... For now though, I can say the search is over. More on that later.
One of the things I have wanted to do for a while now is get a good blade to include with whatever kit I had landed on, that could be out in the wet and wind for a day or two and not have issues. After a pile of reading, I landed on the F1 from Fallkniven. Just a superb blade so far though it has not been beaten or thrown. Soon though. In the mean time, just a damned good looker.
My first though was to make a kydex sheath. Of course the thought that usually follows first thoughts like that is I don't know how... So, after some youtube and some parts orders I got myself set up and went to it. To be fair, it too three tries to get it to mold right. I wasn't letting it get hot enough. Once I did though, I got it this far.
Turns out that spine-side rivet is too close to the blade. Otherwise from here, things were completely workable. Bit of buffing, bit off sanding, bunch more rivets and...
It just makes the kit complete I think. I carried it out last Monday for 5 hours and it didn't slip once. I imagine the retention is probably set too tight but that's really what I wanted. I expect it to be there in case I need it and to be quiet 100% of the time. A solid grip is required it seems.
The sheath was the high point of the hunt. The rest was all cobwebs and sweat and no damned squirrels. I was in the wrong place and the wrong time of day I think. No worries though. Still beats being on time for a meeting somewhere.... Later and thanks for reading.