Monday, November 19, 2012

Larger Autumn Bushcraft Knife Progress - Knocking the Rust off the Skills

With the weekend upon us and the holidays looming near I was thrilled to get some time out in the shop to mess with things.  Of course, when the blades came back from Peters' and were in dandy shape, well...  I just did a little dance.

Here's the big one all covered in scale and ready for work.

As I have tried to do, given the trouble I have had in the past with this part, I polished the bevels first.  This time I had no issues at all and got it down to a pretty fine edge.


The big lesson on this one is that a 1 X 42 belt on the small grinder is easy to use for polishing.  No major hick ups and all came out looking.. knifey.  :)

So originally, I had planned to make the scales out of Elm.  I even have the wood here...  The more I thought about it though, the more I realized I am way rusty.  In thinking about it I am not sure I have finished a knife in close to two years.  I decided instead to use a chunk of blank ink walnut Dymondwood.  It's cheap, it's tough, and the ink between the layers works like a damned topo map of the grip...

Once I got the blade flats sanded down to about 400 grit oil finished satin the way I like them, I taped up the blade and attached the scales.  My bandsaw was having issues but we got through.



Not so much with the sexy knife look at all.  :)

Anyhow, I used the drum sander to profile the mess down and the grinder to remove the big excess chunks  of thickness. 



Then chucked it up for some shaping.  I really love working scales with a file.  Once they just need a contour it's a bunch of fun to try to get them the same on both sides.


After about an hour of fitting and filing and sanding and then fitting and filing and sanding some more...  It came out pretty well I think.



There's a pile of finishing work to do and some etching which should be fun... since I have never tried before....

Anyhow, more after while.  Time to go pick up kiddos.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Small Companion Knife for the Autumn Bushblade


Something I have always wanted to do and never really tried was making a smaller companion to one of the larger bush blades I made.  Something smaller and thinner and better at cutting small things.  I decided this was a good project for that so last Monday while Sandy blew and snowed outside, I got out the pad and drew this one up.  It's sort of in the same motif and is sort of cute in its ugliness...

I went ahead and made the stencil and got the shape on the steel... I loves me some O1 in 3/32"...

After a scoosh of grinding it was all shaped and the bevels went on pretty easy...



I got er bevelled the rest of the way and the shape refined enough to hold it for a while and make sure I liked it before I moved on..  It seems to work pretty well so far.


I did up the finish sanding and sent it and the big one off the my good friends and Peters' Heat Treat for some hardening (the fu&*) up.  I snapped one more shot before they went off.  It's a bit washed out but you get the idea.  The Elm is really nice...


I think they look dandy... piggyback sheath dandy at that.  I did a quick measurement though and the one slab of elm wouldn't be enough so I got a second one...  :)


I am really looking forward to the weekend if they make it back in time....